Sunday, February 21, 2010
Behold the Power of Vinegar
So, I learned something new today. Vinegar does it all. I was reading on one of my favorite blogs called Be a Homemaker and she had switched over to using vinegar as a cleaning agent because it is safe and it works. She also gave a link to this nifty website called Vinegar Works Wonders it has all sorts of ways you can use vinegar to clean. Some of them I already knew because, well my mom taught me (she is so smart) but some of them were news to me. One I tried and it worked really well!! I have had a clogged shower drain for a while now, and I have tried everything I could think of to unclog it. I read on this site that you can pour 1 cup of white vinegar and a handful of baking soda down your drain let it bubble and rinse with warm water and tada! So I tried it and tada!! It worked!! I may need to repeat the process a couple of times but it is a quick, cheap and productive way to unclog that drain!!
Other things I have learned about vinegar from my mom:
She would have us wash our hair in vinegar when we were little because we went swimming all the time and the chlorine would fry our hair and actually turn it green. The vinegar cleared that right up! I read on be a homemaker that if you mix 1 Tbsp white vinegar with your shampoo you will have healthier hair and scalp!
My mom would also make us use vinegar when we got sunburned. Either we would mist it on with a spray bottle to relieve the pain and reduce peeling or we would pour it onto a cool wet cloth and just have it sit on there.
My mom also swears by vinegar mixed with honey when you are sick. Apple cider vinegar to be exact. I think it tastes disgusting, but it works! I have also tried 2 Tbsp honey mixed with 1-2 Tsp lemon juice in a mug full of hot water. It clears up sore throats right away and reduces cold time. Try it, it works!
My mom would also have us use vinegar to wash windows. It leaves it clean and streak free.
Wondering where to buy industrial sizes of vinegar? You guessed it! COSTCO!
So there is my vinegar is pretty amazing stuff and my mom is even more amazing blog post. ENJOY!
P.S. Does the fact that I am so excited about cleaning with vinegar that I am dedicating a post to it make me sound domesticated? he he I never in a million years thought that I would dedicate a whole post to vinegar.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

love it Nat-
ReplyDeleteWow, you can do a lot with Vinegar!
ReplyDelete