Blog Archive

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Day 18 -Something you miss

I've been putting this post off because it's been hard to write about. But, when I saw this on the list I decided that I would force myself to do it. Something I miss most is more of someone. This man:


My Grandpa White, or Gramps as I liked to call him is this greatest man I have ever known.  He passed away last August, and I have missed him very much.  Gramps has been like a father to me and I feel so blessed to have had him in my life! He was always there to give me advice, to give me blessings, to support me, to make me laugh, to teach me and to give me hugs. He had such a great sense of humor! The picture above proves that point! I remember him coming to our family Halloween party dressed as a bumble bee and "accidentally" putting the stinger on backwards. I remember one year at Christmas when he insisted on putting a fully decorated Christmas tree on the roof of the house so everyone could see it. Even in death his sense of humor shone through. A few weeks before he passed away, a good friend of our family, Henk Dorenbosch, came to visit and he talked to him about going out with a bang. And that became my grandpa's motto. He said I'm going out with a bang several times. The day he died was nice, sunny and blue skies. But as he took his last breath a clap of thunder rolled through the sky, and everyone started to laugh. He went out just like he said he would, with a bang!
He was always the perfect example of a husband, father, and grandpa! I loved seeing him and my Grandma together. You could tell how much they love each other just by seeing them look at each other.

He had such a big heart and loved everyone. I would often find him in his office typing away on the keyboard at 3 am. He wrote all kinds of things. funny things, spiritual things, thoughts, dreams. I could always count on my Gramps for spiritual uplifting. He was so knowledgeable about the gospel, about the spirit, about how the Lord works. My cousin said that when you were with him you were in the presence of greatness, and I couldn't agree more!

I miss his big laugh, his huge feet, his funny shoes, his jokes, his pink sweats, his warm hugs, and his cheesy smile. My grandpa made a difference in so many people's lives and I don't know if he ever really realized the impact he had on mine. I miss him a lot! and I will forever be grateful for the time that I was blessed to have him in my life! I love you Gramps!!


1 comment:

  1. Thanks Nat for sharing! I think we all feel the same way about grandpa. He is truly one of the greatest!

    ReplyDelete